
I love cities! I love big cities like New York, Chicago, and San Francisco and I love “little” cities like Cleveland and Columbus and Louisville. I have never been to a city that I love as much as I love Cape Town. It is the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen in my life and I am completely in love with it. If I don’t come home, I’ve probably moved to Cape Town.
My visit to Cape Town was made even better by the fact that I got to do it with Elise. It’s such a comforting feeling to know that I have such great friends with whom I have such long-standing connections. I’ve known Elise since third grade when we were in ACE together! It’s amazing that we have known each other so long and have managed to stay close even though our lives are very different now!
Friday, when I arrived, Elise had to go back to work for a bit, so I went to the Waterfront which is a large shopping area on the water. There is a high-end mall with stores like Louis Vouitton and Gucci but also regular stores and those that sell, what I like to call, “African Crap.” All the junk that one hopes to find and purchase to bring home as souvenirs. I am now fully stocked with African Crap…I just hope it all fits in my suitcase!
After the Waterfront, we grabbed drinks and then dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant. It was really delicious! After dinner we went to a club where a really great local band, called The Rudimentals, was playing. They were sort of reggae-ska; a cross between pre-Fergie Black Eyed Peas and No Doubt. It was really great!
Cape Town has big buildings and a big city feel, but a very western big city—not at all African. It’s on the ocean and has amazing beaches, but it’s also surrounded by mountains! We climbed Lion’s head mountain on Saturday. It was quite a hike, but I’m glad we did it. We got to the top right at sunset and looked over the entire city and the Atlantic to watch a perfect sunset.
Also on Saturday, we went to a market where the vendors sold a lot of specialty foods in the front portion and then prepared foods in the back. Nothing like a well-made mojito and flatbread pizza to start your day off right! After the market Elise and I went to the winelands—a mere twenty minute drive away (BONUS POINTS FOR CT!!!)—and hit up two wineries. We even bought a couple bottles of wine for our Sunday night activities (stay tuned!).
Saturday night we went out for Burgers at a restaurant called Royale. I have been CRAVING a good burger and this place did the trick. They also had sweet potato fries! The only thing missing was real ketchup. I guess some comforts will just have to be put off until home.
On Sunday, we had a relaxing beach morning and lunch. Cape Town is very much a European tourist spot and many of the beaches and homes on the beaches reflect the wealth that comes to play in Cape Town. It is a great place to come, especially with the strength of the Euro and weakness of the Rand right now. I am very serious when I say that if you can afford to get to South Africa, you can afford a vacation here. Everything is incredibly cheap!
Sunday night we went to Kirstenbosch which is a botanical garden. In the summer they have a concert series in the outdoor amphitheatre with all South African artists. Think Blossom with Table Mountain as the backdrop for the stage. We heard a great group called Malaika and enjoyed a nice picnic with our wine from Saturday. It was such a beautiful and relaxing weekend! I HAVE to find time to go back again!
No comments:
Post a Comment