Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Baby Elephant Reminder


I just wanted to remind my mom and dad that I definitely want a baby elephant! This past weekend was spent in Plettenberg Bay and Knysna--both very lovely little towns on the Garden Route. Saturday was spent in Knysna which has a lot of fun little shops and things. In the evening, we went on a boat cruise to the Knysna Heads which are these two GIANT cliffs with a small opening in between. Ships cannot go through the heads because the currents are very unpredictable so there have been many wrecks there. Apparently, there's some festival there during July when a naval ship sails through, but it has to be perfect weather.


We spent Saturday night and Sunday in the Plettenberg Bay area. Breakfast at our favorite place, Mugg and Bean. It's one of few places we've found with "normal" sandwiches. Lunch meat is nowhere to be found here! After breakfast we headed off to the Elephant Sanctuary. We got to walk trunk in hand with the elephants. We also got to pet them and feel their trunks, ears, eyelashes, skin, tail, and bottom of their feet. Then we got to feed them and finally ride them! It was SO AWESOME! I still really want an elephant, except that the Sanctuary taught me that elephants do not make good pets--one of the elephants there was being rehabbed because she was kept as a pet for too long and didn't know how to "be an elephant." I think I'm gonna keep the dream alive, though.

Back to Cape Town this weekend! On the agenda: sky diving, Robben Island, aquarium, shopping, penguins, Cape Point, and--this blog's namesake--SHARK DIVING (FINALLY)!!!!

1 comment:

  1. The elephant sanctuary is a great place to visit, but there is another place that should not be missed, for very cool and affordable accommodation you should visit Starling Village Backpackers, they charge R120 for dorms witch includes a full breakfast buffet, free internet and a free shuttle service to town and back, I can really recommend this place.

    ReplyDelete