This weekend was amazing! On Saturday, all six of us loaded into a “bucky” (pick-up truck with cap)—2 in the front, four in the bed (with a mattress for comfort), and headed off to Heavenly Stables. We went on a three-hour long horseback ride on the bush trails (I SAW A MONKEY IN THE TREES!!!) and then down to the beach at Sardinia Bay. I rode a horse through the surf! It was so beautiful! My horse’s name, by the way, was Snowflake, which I found to be ironic. Of course I would come all the way to Africa and end up on a horse named Snowflake. They’ve never even seen snowflakes here, but they named a horse after them anyway and then stuck me on him (or her, whatever). So to all you Ohioans who had your snow days, I got one too! After the ride, we went to a nearby house for a braai (barbecue). The house belonged to the sister of the woman who owns the stables and the whole family was there! The food was delicious and it was great to get a chance to meet new people.
On Sunday, we headed off to the Seaview Lion Park. We started out by driving through in our trusty “bucky.” All the herbivores roamed free and were so close to our cars! We saw zebras, giraffes, antelope, and wildebeests, among others. After the driving part, we parked our car to walk through the area with the adult lions and tigers. The carnivores were behind wire which was, allegedly, electric fencing but really just looked like chicken wire. Definitely safe, though! After seeing TONS of lions and lionesses and one tiger, we went off to the area where they keep the lion cubs. For an extra R50 (50 Rand = approximately $5) we got to go in and pet the lion cubs! It was amazing and I am so glad we took the time out to go and see them. After we got back, we spent the remainder of the day on the beach.
Today, I stayed after school to help with swimming. The group I’m working with is comprised of a wide range of swimmers, ability-wise. It’s not very competitive, so I was excited to be able to do a little bit of coaching like I used to at Willow. The pool at the school is impressive! On Thursday, Collegiate has its annual inter-house “gala” (swim meet) where I will get to be an official and possibly swim in the staff relay. I’m pretty excited for the day outside! I also did my first teaching today. Not much—just a math warm-up activity. OU provided me with a really great guide for how to ease in to the classroom and my role in it. Next week I should be teaching some full lessons.
The rest of this week will be filled with beach. This coming weekend, we’re heading off to do a zip line canopy tour. I cannot wait!
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment